Colin Powell says that the most important attribute of a good leader is to put the best people in place to get the job done. He also explains why good leadership is ultimately all about human connections.
He talks about clear and hard choices, as well as the importance of teamwork.
- The role of a leader is to put the best possible people in place to get the job done
- Attributes of a good leader:
- Have a clear sense of purpose and clearly convey it throughout the organization
- Take care of the people who are getting the job done (“the troops”) – make sure they are prepared and have the resources to accomplish their tasks
- Be sure to commend and reward those who are successful
- Be ready to discipline and fire people when necessary, don’t do work-arounds
- Final thought: it’s all about human connections, support, and conveying we’re in this together