Apple had no committees when Steve Jobs was in charge. Why? The answer relates to teamwork and trust…Apple continues to be an incredibly collaborative company, in part, because Steve Jobs never lost the start-up spirit.
- Jobs asks: “You know how many committees we have at Apple? “Zero”
- Apple is organized like a start-up…the biggest start-up on the planet
- The product heads all meet weekly…there’s tremendous teamwork at the top of the company, which filters down throughout the company
- Teamwork is dependent on trusting the other folks to come through with their parts without watching them all the time. The teams have “wonderful arguments.”
- If you want to hire great people and have them staying working for you, you have to let them make a lot of decisions and you have to be run by ideas…not hierarchies
- The best ideas have to win…otherwise good people don’t stay
- I contribute good ideas…sure…why would I be there if I didn’t…